[NAGDU] what about Florida?

Sherrill O'Brien Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Fri Mar 17 12:52:18 UTC 2017

Top o' the mornin' to all!

Julie, FLAGDU supported the Florida law which was revised in 2015 to include
penalties for fraud regarding service animals. Here is what the law says:
(9) A person who knowingly and willfully misrepresents
herself or himself, through conduct or verbal or written notice,
as using a service animal and being qualified to use a service
animal or as a trainer of a service animal commits a misdemeanor
of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s.
775.083 and must perform 30 hours of community service for an
organization that serves individuals with disabilities, or for
another entity or organization at the discretion of the court,
to be completed in not more than 6 months.

It's important that people look at the wording which speaks to the fraud of
pretending to have a disability. The emphasis is almost always on the person
pretending his/her dog is a service animal, when in fact they are doing
something just as serious in faking they have a disability, even though they
may not consider that part of the fraud when they decide to carry out this
masquerade.

But to address your question about whether this new part of the law has
reduced fraud, I have no idea. Fraud is  extremely hard to prove or measure.
I haven't heard of anyone being prosecuted. That doesn't mean it hasn't
happened, but I think it would be the sort of human/animal interest story
that the press would be eager to publish. Social media would be all over it.
I really doubt that most people even know about this law. It's possible it
could actually be a deterrent if people were aware of its existence. Perhaps
FLAGDU should work to get copies of the pertinent part of the law into vet's
offices, grooming facilities and pet stores.
We've started a project to get information into  businesses to help them
know their rights as well as their responsibilities.

Okay, I'd better get that second cup of green coffee!

Sherrill O'Brien, FLAGDU President