[NAGDU] how fetching.

Bianka bianka at andi-bika.de
Fri Mar 17 19:49:10 UTC 2017

Hi dan and list,

I remember when I had my first guide dog who was an exceptional fetcher the debate was still running high whether it was OK to teach force fetch. The school we got our dogs from teach fetch as part of the obedience and play routine and my husband's dog likes shoes so my husband taught him to fetch those or to bring his sports harness if he uses to carry it around. What I have taught all my dogs is to point towards fallen objects with their noses, this is easier to teach than fetch and has worked quite well for our purposes. For all my dogs it was enough when I praised them when they ran towards the fallen object. With my dog it will even work with edible objects if I ask her early enough to show me where they have fallen.

She is very reliable with bringing back her toys as well so I can play with her outside in the forest without being afraid of loosing a toy. My previous  black lab liked to find the objects but didn't like to bring them. She would show my husband's dog the object and he would have to fetch it.

Kind regards,

Bianka