[NAGDU] airline troubles

Cindy Ray cindyray at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 20:09:17 UTC 2017

I believe that we do think of others, but who is thinking of us when we are
in this situation? We can't do a survey. I don't mean that as flip, but we
are now in fight or flight mode if we have become upset, and Julie pointed
out that we are people first. I think we need to remain calm, too, but that
doesn't guarantee I will remain as calm as I would like. And who determines
if I am calm. I wasn't loud in my own situation but was accused of
intimidating the passengers. But of course we don't know their side of the
story, do we? Maybe we don't know the whole stories in the 80s when people
were removed from the plane and strip searched. Maybe we don't know the
other side of the story, but let's imagine for a moment that they stubbornly
upheld their rights to stay in those seats, to get another seat, to sit in
the exit row. Rosa Parks chose to stay in her seat on the bus, and that
began some important civil rights motion. We have had some important civil
rights motion because of what we did in the exit row wars, and we are making
progress now. We need to choose our battles, yes, but we also need to step
out of our comfort zones and work to make these issues never come up again.
Truth is we need to find ways to see that the employees of airlines are
trained. Somehow we need to find a way to be a part of that training.
Somehow we need to write a resolution, but it needs to be one that we will
use as a part of the change. We need to know as NAGDU that we are working as
a part of that change. The Braille Monitor with the resolutions cannot be
the end of the story, and we all need to make it a point to find out the
progress of the resolution, or if it has lagged a little, try to find out
why and what we can do to help it along.
Cindy Lou Ray
cindyray at gmail.com