[NAGDU] Softer Dogs?

Charlene Ota caota4 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 23:34:55 UTC 2017

I remember riding in an elevator with a couple of other dog guide users at a
convention. My dog started sniffing at one of the other dogs, I said no
firmly a couple times and he didn't respond like I'd like so I picked up his
leash and jangled his collar a bit and he immediately focused again and that
was the end of it. One of the other dog users said something to the effect
of "What kind of a correction was that, that was no correction!" I can't
remember if I actually answered the person or just left it alone, but I know
I thought to myself, well that's all that was needed. He's a very soft dog,
he doesn't respond to hard leash corrections. His trainer was into positive
reinforcement so that's how he was trained and it seems to work for him just
fine. I can't remember ever having to give him a hard leash correction in
the 9 years that I have worked with him. I also don't use a clicker, the
trainer wasn't using them at the time either. I think we just have to
remember that all dogs aren't the same, they have different personalities
and different needs. There are several training techniques that if done
correctly are very effective, too. The best thing we can do is apply what we
are told at the school by the trainer that trained our dogs and go from
there. If we find we need to add something, then hopefully, we do it with
the dog's best interests in mind and utilize their strengths as best as we
can.

Charlene