[NAGDU] Softer Dogs?

Lisa Belville missktlab1217 at frontier.com
Wed Mar 22 15:01:13 UTC 2017

Oh Tracey, I agree completely.  I think we had a similar discussion last
year when we were discussing expectations for newer dogs and how the bar was
being steadily lowered.  I get the need for a softer dog with an aging
population and donors not wanting to see the doggie getting corrected, yada,
yada, but a dog can be so sensitive that it can't handle any kind of
correction or work needing concentration and assertiveness, or some
combination of the two.  Most schools expect some kind of informal work
right from the moment the matches are announced.  Whether it's leash at the
GDF or healing our dogs around the building and to that very first
after-match announcement meal like they do at GDA, then that's when the
learning needs to start, in my opinion.  I'm not saying we need to use hard
corrections, but the dog needs to start learning what the expectations are,
and we as handlers need to know how are dog reacts to praise or correction.

I was surprised how they used leash corrections when I trained with Paige at
GDA.  We did use corrections, even a two handed one if it was necessary,
though mostly while on campus and not in the public eye.  Generally we had a
class of very soft dogs-- one person's dog got spooked if the handler raised
their voice to the dog.  This, IMO, is too soft, but it wasn't my dog.  We
gave very firm verbal and physical corrections during group obedience and
food refusal sessions.

I think the degree of correction used is also up to the individual trainer's
discretion.  I got a stern in-private talking to by one of Paige's trainers
when I gave her a harness snap for goofing off.  Later, another trainer
suggested a two-handed correction when the same behavior started again.
Personally, a two-handed correction looks worse than a harness snap, but
what do I know.

Generally, Paige is a calm, submissive, dog who responds well to verbal
guidance, so I haven't had any serious need to correct her other than a
general leash snap.

Lisa

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217 at frontier.com
IF THE HOUSEWORK IS DONE - THEN THE COMPUTER IS Broken!