[NAGDU] Vacation rentals

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Wed May 3 13:38:41 UTC 2017

I appreciate that and I would usually do that but we are staying on a small
island in Lake Erie and most of the options were taken. The owner said my
dog is welcome even though it isn't listed for pets. I just wanted to know
the options. I am celebrating one of my 0 birthdays with my family so I
wasn't going to fight this issue this time. It has all worked out though.

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 9:07 AM, Janice Toothman via NAGDU <nagdu at nfbnet.org>
wrote:

> Marianne,
>
> When I and my guide dog stay at the beach with my family, we rental an
> entire house for the week.  Because as Marion said, it is own by someone,
> not living their at the time, we choose house that indicate "pet friendly"
> homes.  Even though my guide dog is not a pet. However, in this case, the
> owner has stated there willingness to accept applicants with animals to
> their house.  It can limit your options.  It is better than calling each
> house directly and stating you have a guide dog wondering what they will
> say and if they say "yes" over the phone.  Will they change their mind once
> you arrive at the property.  Just my thoughts.
>
> Janice and waiting for my next guide dog
>
> On 5/3/2017 8:45 AM, Marianne Denning via NAGDU wrote:
>
>> Thatb is what I thought but thanks for the clarification. It is good to
>> know these things since people are staying a lot of places other than
>> hotels.
>>
>> On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 4:12 PM, NAGDU President via NAGDU <
>> nagdu at nfbnet.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Marianne,
>>>
>>>          According to the Americans with Disabilities Act, covered
>>> entities
>>> include "an inn, hotel, motel, or other place of lodging, except for an
>>> establishment located within a building that contains not more than five
>>> rooms for rent or hire and that is actually occupied by the proprietor of
>>> such establishment as the residence of such proprietor". (42 USC
>>> 12181(7)(A)) Therefore, even if the the building had only one room for
>>> rent
>>> or hire - and it does not necessarily state it must be a sleeping room -
>>> if
>>> the proprietor does not actually reside in the building, it is a covered
>>> entity. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
>>>
>>> Fraternally yours,
>>>
>>> Marion Gwizdala, President
>>> National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc. (NAGDU)
>>> National Federation of the Blind
>>> (813) 626-2789
>>> President at NAGDU.ORG
>>>

>>> The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the
>>> characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise
>>> expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind
>>> people
>>> and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what
>>> holds
>>> you back.

>>> property. Can I take my guide dog with me to this rental property

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/blind411%

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053