[NAGDU] Hello, An Introduction from Heather With Ilsa

Heather Bird heather.l.bird at gmail.com
Fri May 5 19:25:36 UTC 2017

Hello. My name is Heather and I have a Seeing Eye dog named Ilsa. She is
a black and tan German Shepherd Dog. She just turned two around Thanks
Giving of 2016. She is my second guide from the Seeing Eye, my fourth
GSD. I have previously had shepherds from Fidelco Guide Dog Foundation.
I am a mother of two boys, who are both visually impaired. My mother is
also blind and also a guide dog handler. My husband and my father are
both sighted. I am a member of NYAGDU, as are my mother and my husband.
I am also the chapter president for our local NFB chapter in Rochester NY.

Ilsa is very bright, a bit softer than my first TSE shepherd, Frieda,
but just as smart. My husband has an owner-trained psychiatric service
dog, a seven-year-old smooth coat collie named Dante. He is a sable and
he is a very soft, very intuitive sweet dog. My mother has a black lab
named Octane from the Seeing Eye. I have her permission to disclose this
fact and as many of my best guide dog stories involve both her and my
dogs, you may see mention of Octane from time to time.

I am also a member of IAADP. I am an attachment parent, student of
social work, stay-at-home mom and a member of API, and LLLI. I am
supportive of owner trainers, handlers of small breed service dogs,
handlers with invisible disabilities. I am a big advocate of informed
choice in guide dog training program selection, and a big proponent of
the rights and responsibilities of all service dog handlers.

That's the nuts and bolts of me as a handler. Please feel free to ask if
you have any additional questions.