[NAGDU] travelling to Japan revisited

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Sun May 7 22:07:00 UTC 2017

Hello, beautiful people and dogs.

Dan here.

Well I think the subject of guide dogs in Japan and traveling their
accompanied by a guide dog was dealt with recently.

By coincidence I've been in contact with a very energetic, resourceful
and intelligent  young guy from NYC who wants to maybe study or visit
there.  He has a guide dog and though I went from 2001 to 2003 my info
is of course  not up to date. His vet actually seems very knowledgeable
and had to apparently help another client with a service dog...but I
thought he might find it useful to speak with someone who has traveled
there more recently than I.  Anyone who has done this, I seem to
remember there was one person who had, let me know if you're willing to
be in touch with this fellow.

Apparently it would seem that one additional requirement since my days
of stomping around there was that if you have a guide dog you must have
info sent to the Japan guide Dog Association from your school so they
issue you a temporary guide dog id, the JGDa is a guide dog school, I
will refrain form making comments on this as I had to deal with the
beginnings of that process when I wetn there. Suffice it to say that
they want your school to be affiliated to the International Federation
of Guide Dog Schools and if not they seem not interested in issuing this
card.  So, though the Japan restrictions puzzle and annoy me, I do want
to help this guy if he is determined to have this experience and want
him to be successful.

So anyone wants to talk to him or to me, my email:

dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net

I'll give out his contact only on request.

Most sincerely,

Dan