[NAGDU] Have a question

NAGDU President blind411 at verizon.net
Tue May 9 12:55:35 UTC 2017

Ricky,

	You ask a very good question. According to the Americans with
Disabilities Act, the pool is a place of public accommodation. Covered
entities must modify their policies, practices, and procedures to allow
individuals accompanied by service animals the same access as others. This
means that, even though there may be a "No Petss" policy, they are required
by law to modify this policy so as to provide you the same access. Since the
modification of policies, practices, and procedures are required by law and
they cannot refuse or limit your access, there is no need to give any sort
of advance notice. You are not required to ask permission, or provide any
sort of documentation that your dog is a service dog. Your dog is not
allowed to go into the pool, though, as health department regulations
prohibit this and the implementing regulations of the ADA would likely
consider this a direct threat.

	Individuals differ on whether or not it is wise to take your dog to
a pool area. Since it is your choice, I would say that, as long as your dog
is comfortable, has shade, if needed, go ahead and take it. I have taken my
dog to pools - both public and complex areas - and they have always been
okay. Please let us know how your pup fares!
Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc. (NAGDU)
National Federation of the Blind
(813) 626-2789
President at NAGDU.ORG

expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind  people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you back.