[NAGDU] How are guide dogs receaved at national convention?

Raul A. Gallegos raul at raulgallegos.com
Mon May 22 21:35:54 UTC 2017

Hello Heather, thanks for asking. I would say that guide dogs and their
handlers are accepted with no problems. Depending on the training you
and your dog have received regarding stressful situations, it's best to
keep in mind that the stress level can go up when in an area full of
people, blind or sighted. You will have to keep in mind that you will
encounter many blind people who are new to being blind. This means they
may not be good travelers. You might also encounter people who are
pro-cane and anti-dog users. However, all in all, people are generally
good and regardless of the situation, it is totally up to you on whether
you bring your dog to convention. I can share what I plan on doing and
maybe you can do similar, or you can build your own strategy.

I plan on taking my black lab to convention. He is only 2 right now, so
still very much a puppy at heart. In situations we have been in since I
got him in February this year, he's handled himself well when it comes
to large crowds. This past weekend I was in Austin for an NFB event and
there were around 7 or 8 other guide dog users and my dog handled things
just fine. Of course, that will be nothing to how national convention
will go, but it's at least a smidgen of a start. In a couple of weeks I
will take him for a 2-week trip where I will be one of the teachers for
BELL academy and so he will be around many children. As for handling the
stress, I will not work my dog from dawn until dusk. Instead, I will
work him and give him breaks during the day. To do this, I will have my
cane with me, so there may be times that I simply walk my dog, not have
him guiding me. As a general rule, I carry a cane with me when I travel
because I find it takes the stress of finding certain things that I may
not be able to communicate to my dog, but which I can find quickly with
my cane.

Now here is where many other dog handlers might differ from what I do,
my dog was trained with some food rewards. So, this means that when I go
into a situation where there may be distractions, I do some quick
obedience commands with my dog, using the touch command and maybe a down
and sit command and give him random treats. I make it a fun game and
reward randomly with food, but mostly with a lot of positive praise. I
have found that my dog will handle stressful situations full of
distractions much better once he and I have synced up like this.
Different schools and different handlers have different ideas on whether
this is a good idea or not, so your mileage may carry.

I hope all of this helps, and I look forward to helping you or anyone
else at convention.

Thanks.

--
Raul A. Gallegos
Board Member - National Association of Guide Dog Users
Personal Email: raul at raulgallegos.com
Work Email: training at rgats.com
Twitter: @rga7285 and @RGATrainer

“Any teacher that can be replaced with a computer, deserves to be.” - David Thornburg