[NAGDU] Guide dog population (was guide dogs in Germany)

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri May 26 18:31:32 UTC 2017

Heather, this is an interesting analysis.
I vaguely remember hearing that guide dog users were about 5% of the blind
population, but, as you say, that could be as a percentage of the whole
blind population, and not limited to the people who could actually use a
guide dog. And I heard it a long time ago, too.
I'd also heard guide dog use is going up because more older people are
choosing to get a dog.
Personally, I suspect that it's more active people who choose to get guide
dogs.  If you don't go many places, or you always go with someone, why
bother with a dog?  But I could be wrong about that.
I've wondered too if employed people are more likely to have a guide dog.
I'd like to see a study on that.  I always meet a number of employed people
in class, and, building on my activity hypothesis, people who have to go to
work every day could be more likely to want a guide dog.
And, finally, I'm hoping that staying active with a guide dog will prolong
the time that I am able to stay active with a guide dog.  Makes sense to me.
I've heard many studies saying that seniors who get regular exercise are
more able to keep moving.
Tracy