[NAGDU] choosing a school

d m gina dmgina at mysero.net
Wed Nov 1 18:45:22 UTC 2017

Original My dog does well on the drop off curbs and steps.
She doesn't let me know they are there.
When she can get a ride in a cab or talk to a driver anything like that.
this is the reeason I am using a walking cane with her, to make her
stop and I also know how deep the step is to step down.
People are her first thought I come second.
I hope as we work up to the third year she will get better.
I hope she isn't one of the dogs that this is the problem and I have to
live with it.
I sure understand the question loll.
message:
> [...]

>> Hi David,

>> Wow, Clare Rose sounds like a dream dog. Thanks for sharing the skill
>> set from GDF. The only thing that concerns me about GDF is step
>> refusal. Good idea if it is a set of stairs, but not so good if you
>> are inadvertently steppping off a ledge or other drop off thinking it
>> is stairs. I can't get my head around going ahead of the dog. How do
>> you manage that?

>> Jean and Bode

>> -----Original Message----- From: David via NAGDU
>> Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 5:09 PM
>> To: Jean Menzies via NAGDU
>> Cc: David
>> Subject: Re: [NAGDU] choosing a school

>> Hi, Jean.  My GDF pup finds chairs, doors, entrances versus exits,
>> return to entry points in large department stores, elevators, elevator
>> buttons, traffic buttons, escalators, counters, empty chairs, men's
>> rooms, checkout registers, up/down stairs, and trash cans.  I'm not sure
>> how much of that she came with, but she had these down in the first two
>> weeks at home.  She is not great with the follow command, because she
>> likes to lead. She is an absolute genius in crowds.  She is invisible in
>> restaurants and keeps her nose out of food in grocery stores, less so at
>> home out of harness.  Onsite training in Smthtown, NY, even for newbies,
>> is only two weeks.  She is a lab golden cross.  Food rewards are your
>> choice.  I use rewards randomly and for outstanding responses. She is a
>> 70 pound female and a total goofball out of harness.

>> *David and Claire Rose in Clearwater, FL*
>> *david at bakerinet.com

>> *
>> On 10/31/2017 2:09 PM, Jean Menzies via NAGDU wrote:
>>> Hello all,

>>> Without going into the details now, I am looking at dog retirement,
>>> and getting applications started for dog  number 7. Even if I end up
>>> delaying exceptance, the paperwork will be good for two years, and
>>> there are reasons to get going on it now.

>>> My current dog is from Leader. He is wonderful, and I really like the
>>> skill sets that LD puts on their dogs. But in deciding if I stay or
>>> change schools, I want some information on the Seing Eye as well.

>>> For anyone who has been to either school recently, or for those who
>>> have been to both, I would like your thoughts on the following points:

>>> Food rewards used or not used

>>> If food rewards are used, are they phased out or maintained

>>> Skill sets –

>>> Is Find the ... taught? If so, what objects or items are the dogs
>>> taught to find initially? E.g., empty chairs/benches, stairs up/down,
>>> pushbutton poles, doors, inside/outside, etc.?

>>> Traffic work – exposure to quiet cars

>>> Application process: Number of references, home video

>>> I'm interested in comparing the skill sets and working styles of the
>>> dogs, so please, no info on meals, rooms, etc. That's not important
>>> to me. Any info anyone can provide on current training from the two

>>> Jean
>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/david%40bakerinet.com