[NAGDU] Puppies Behind Bars - New Yorker

Jenine Stanley jeninems at icloud.com
Mon Nov 27 12:01:32 UTC 2017

Thanks for your puppy raising. America’s VetDogs
started our prison program because many of the tasks taught to service dogs need to be started early and it’s hard to find families that can commit to the time needed to do so. Prisoners, who are screened thoroughly and are usually on some sort of honors program, meaning that they have had no incidents while in prison and are model prisoners, are the only ones allowed to take part in the program.

the weekend raisers, and my nephew is one now, take the puppies to get exposure in homes, stores, school events, etc.

I’ve visited the Puppies Behind Bars program in the 1990’s and what it does for both the prisoners and dogs is nothing less than incredible.