[NAGDU] Churches and service dogs

Rachel Grider rachel.grider at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 14:53:50 UTC 2017

OK, one more thing for me on the subject – sorry Cindy! This for sure will be my last. :-)

As I told Sandra last night in a private email, I have begun taking some steps to hopefully begin changing this policy. I have written a letter and will be meeting with my bishop to address this issue, and as per the proper process in a situation like this, my materials will be passed  up the ladder eventually to go to the First Presidency of the Church. If anyone wants to know more about this, please feel free to write me off list. Also, for those of you who are or were once LDS, I would like to have some related stories about how The current policy has affected your independence and self reliance, so if you would like to share your story with me and don't mind me sharing it, please write me off list.

It is not that I believe that service dogs should not be allowed in the temple at all, but I understand the motivation behind not allowing them. At the very least there should be a place at the recommend desk for them to stay. If service dogs are ever allowed to go inside the temple, that would be wonderful, but I don't know if I would personally be taking mine in. The best solution that I could see would be for the individual dog, just like it's handler, to get a sort of recommend from the bishop saying that it is well – behaved enough to go into the temple.

Also, please understand that in any other situation where I am not allowed to bring my dog, I would not be so diplomatic.

Rachel

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/dcwein%