[NAGDU] CGC test could our dogs do it?

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 19:44:13 UTC 2017

I am positive my dog could pass the CGC... except for the walking on
loose leash.

The thing about treats, toys, prongs, and headcollars are that they
are training tools. Just because they are used sometimes, doesn't mean
they are required at all times for the dog to be civilized. I use
treats with my dog, but that doesn't mean I need to carry treats 24/7
or my dog won't be able to do anything. While I understand completely
why you wouldn't be allowed to use these in a one time test, using
these tools with a dog on occasion doesn't mean they aren't trained.

Also, the CGC is a lot more simple than service dog training
obviously. I don't use treats with my dog for basic obedience and
ignoring well behaved dogs or neutral people in a crowd for example. I
might use treats on occasion because my dog ignored the dog lunging
and growling at the end of its leash two feet away, or for targeting a
building from across a parking lot.

I have wondered in the past if it would be possible to negociate
allowing a controlled pull during the CGC for blind handlers/trainers
of guide dogs. On the one hand, a controled pull is completely
different than a dog dragging its owner behind it; but on the other
hand, I doubt many AKC evaluators know anything about guide dogs or
how blind people train dogs.

Danielle and Thai