[NAGDU] the two questions

Julie Johnson julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Oct 11 16:41:45 UTC 2017

Yes, absolutely, the dog needs to be well mannered.  What I'm saying is that
there is nothing in the law that gives Jon Q. Public the right to  go up to
strangers with dogs and start asking questions.  We are all free to talk to
people and to ask questions, but there is no obligation what so ever for the
other person to answer those questions.

It feels a bit like asking those questions, when you are not the business
owner, is intrusive, or like you are assuming the role of the dog police.
Certainly we should interact politely with those we encounter, but
determining whether or not a particular dog is or is not a service dog is
not our place.   Interacting with fellow humans who do or do not have dogs
is a good thing, but when that begins an evaluation of whether or not the
person  can or cannot exercise his or her civil rights has gone too far.

I think the better approach is to engage people from a place of kindness and
common humanity.  We should extend an offer of assistance if we feel we can
be of help and then to respect what the decision of the other person is.  If
the situation is truly a problem, as in the dog's behavior is affecting the
normal flow of business, then the appropriate thing to do is to let the
business owner or police know what is going on.  And yes, there is much to
do to inform businesses and law enforcement know what they can and should be
doing.

We all know what it's like for others to make assumptions about what we can
and can't do.  We know what it's like to be misunderstood, denied access or
treated hostilly because of our disability.  Because we know  first hand
what it's like  to be treated like a second class citizen, I think we should
be extra vigilant not to treat others this way.

Julie
On The Go with Guide-and-Service-Dogs.com
http://www.guide-and-service-dogs.com
also find my products in the Blind Mice Mega Mall
<https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Directory_Departments?storeid=1916046>