[NAGDU] the two questions

NAGDU President blind411 at verizon.net
Wed Oct 11 21:36:58 UTC 2017

Julie,

	Though it might seem like a minor correction and we understand that an entity may nhot always phrase the questions correctly, I think it is important that everyone learn the correct phrasing of the questions and why this phrasing is important so we can share them with those who need to know. Here are the questions, along with their explanation:

1. Is this a service dog required because of a disability? - The implementing regulations of the Americans with Disabilities Act require public entities and private entities that provide public accommodations to modify their policies, practices, and procedures to allow an individual with a disability accompanied by a service animal access to the places all patrons are allowed. Someone who does not have a disability is not necessarily allowed to bring an animal into a place, even if the dog is a service dog. In other words, my sister, who is not disabled, does not have the right to bring my service dog into a place that does not allow pets, since she is not covered by the Act under this circumstance.
2. What tasks or work has the dog been trained to perform? - The essential element of a service dog is that it has been trained to perform tasks or do work that mitigates a person's disability; therefore, "trained to perform" is a very important phrase. By helping those in authority to ask the question correctly, we also help them understand the difference between trained tasks and innate abilities, such as comforting someone with anxiety or cheering up a person with depression, as opposed to task and/or work training. We also empower them to assess the veracity of the first question as to whether or not the dog is really a service animal.

	I think it is also important to share with them that, if a dog is observed doing work or performing tasks that mitigate the disability, e.g., the dog is observed guiding a person who is blind or pulling a wheelchair, such questions are generally not permitted.

	Finally, since we are in the midst of "Meet the Blind Month", the National Association of Guide Dog Users has an excellent brochure with full-color pictures of guide dogs at work in various settings available through our Independence Market at the Jernigan Institute. Furthermore, we are actively producing other material specific to particular industries in a variety of media. Our website is also an excellent source of accurate information about the rights and responsibilities of service animal users and access to public and private entities. If anyone has questions or comments, please keep this thread going, since this is an important resource for us all to learn and grow in our roles as advocates!

Fraternally yours,
Marion

Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc. (NAGDU)
National Federation of the Blind
(813) 626-2789
President at NAGDU.ORG

The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind  people and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds you back.