[NAGDU] Jogging with our guides

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 23:49:04 UTC 2017

Yes, you can most definitely run with your dog. As for
acceptability... well it depends who you talk to.

The way I run with my dog is to have him either leash guide (only in
familiar places with very few obstacles) or have him wear one of
Julie's nylon "sport style" harnesses. You can run on a track or on a
sidewalk that isn't super crowded. Your dog will be able to handle
some obstacles without a problem most likely, especially once she gets
used to working at a faster pace, but a really complicated route isn't
the best idea. Thai gets really bored with running around the same
boring track after two or three times, but some dogs might not care so
much about repetition.

I didn't really do anything special to teach Thai how to work while
running. You obviously need to build up your dog's fitness by
gradually increasing the amount she runs at any given time, but you'll
probably be doing this anyway since you are just beginning jogging
yourself.

Danielle and Thai