[NAGDU] not sure if this post is allowed but have a question

Sonja O sohldag at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 14 04:40:24 UTC 2017

Miniature horses and dogs are the only animals legally allowed as service animals.
"In addition to the provisions about service dogs, the Department’s revised ADA regulations have a new, separate provision about miniature horses that have been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. (Miniature horses generally range in height from 24 inches to 34 inches measured to the shoulders and generally weigh between 70 and 100 pounds.) Entities covered by the ADA must modify their policies to permit miniature horses where reasonable. The regulations set out four assessment factors to assist entities in determining whether miniature horses can be accommodated in their facility. The assessment factors are (1) whether the miniature horse is housebroken; (2) whether the miniature horse is under the owner’s control; (3) whether the facility can accommodate the miniature horse’s type, size, and weight; and (4) whether the miniature horse’s presence will not compromise legitimate safety requirements necessary for safe operation of the facility."

I quoted this from the faq sheet - here the link:
https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Hope that helps, sonja and chief

Sent from my iPhone