[NAGDU] Choosing the Appropriate Guide Dog School

David Bouchard davidb521 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 21:25:01 UTC 2017

Great questions, Aleeha! These are my thoughts so far.
1. I can definitely see the benefits of owning the dog outright. But I would be curious as to how often a dog is repossessed, and generally, for what reasons. Also, I wonder if there may be other differences in attitudes from trainers and staff towards students between schools where you own the dog, and schools where you don't. I expect to be treated as a responsible adult.
2. I may need veterinary assistance in the short term, but once I find full-time employment, it may not be as much of an issue. How much does it usually cost annually for average vet care, or does it depend on the dog and its lifestyle?
3. Right now, my schedule is very open, but I can't justify turning down a work opportunity if it comes up within the next few months, which could affect my availability. So perhaps I should get my dog sooner rather than later before I get busier again.
4. I am not picky about gender or breed, but rather on the dog's skills, strengths, and weaknesses. I need a dog ready to work wherever and whenever, walking several miles throughout the day. The dog also needs to be able to walk very fast through busy city streets. I need a guide dog school who will best be able to match me with a dog who I can work well with over the course of its service. How do the schools differ in their O&M assessments?

5. I'm still learning the pros and cons between the two methods. Clicker and treat based training sounds like it has some potential, but I'd like to hear from people who've experienced both methods. Why do you prefer the method you use?
6. What types of follow-up services are offered?
7. What are the benefits of contact with the raisers? Also, how do the different schools place the puppies, and what are the requirements for raisers?
Thanks!
David
Sent from my iPhone