[NAGDU] Choosing the Appropriate Guide Dog School

Sherry Gomes sherriola at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 21:44:15 UTC 2017

Hi David,

I'm sherry. I'm currently working with my seventh dog from GDB, female
golden named Petunia. I've only ever trained from GDB, so I will only speak
to that and why I like it.

Things have changed a lot over the years. I got my dog in 1975, but even
then, though the school was pretty custodial at that time, I felt that the
instructors listened to me and truly took my needs and desires into
consideration. And they still do today. granted, I have other disabilities,
so I need a special kind of dog, but even before special needs programs
existed elsewhere, they always gave me a good dog.

But in general, in the overall guide dog use sense, here's what I like about
the current GDB training. Small classes, one instructor to two students.
Training can be customized more. For example, when I trained with Petunia,
my routes were shortened for my needs, but my training partner had nice long
routes for his needs.

Softer training methods. I well remember the days of what is called
compulsive training, praise and correction were the only ways to handle the
dogs. Some of the corrective methods seem downright horrible by today's
standards. Today, GDB uses food rewards for motivating the dogs and
rewarding them, food and verbal/physical praise. I like that a lot. I love
not having to correct the heck out of my dogs anymore. The dogs bond
incredibly quickly because a dog's primary need and desire is food.

Shorter classes. GDB's classes, for first-timers and retrains alike is two
weeks. It means students have less time away and that's good for morale for
everything.

Follow up. GDB has a great field staff, with long-time instructors doing
follow up for the grads in their areas of service.

Vet assistance. GDB has an annual vet allowance, and they will help out in
emergencies. I generally don't request reimbursement for things like annual
visits and shots, but three years ago, when my retired guide became
seriously ill, they took care of all the expenses for me. My beloved dog had
to be euthanized, but I didn't have to worry about extremely expensive vet
bills hanging over my head long after she was gone. And they didn't question
me about it. I told them she was sick, and we didn't know what was wrong,
and they just said, take care of your girl and don't worry. I appreciated
that because though I am employed, I live paycheck to paycheck, and I can
afford the annual stuff, but the thousand dollar expense for Bianca's tests
and week at the vet's and death was not in my budget at that time.

I don't think GDB is perfect, but they've come a long way, and for me
anyway, they still issue terrific guides. Their staff, trainers and field
staff, listen to me and take my concerns and needs to heart, but otherwise,
they leave me alone. The ownership thing is really my only gripe. I'd prefer
immediate ownership, and I hope that policy will change one day.

Sherry