[NAGDU] Choosing the Appropriate Guide Dog School

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Sat Sep 16 21:00:35 UTC 2017

David, it is not possible to tell anyone else which school is the best. All
of my dogs have come from Leader Dogs and I an partnered with my 5th dog.
The reasons why I chose this school in the beginning don't matter at this
time. I have continued with the school because they have an excellent
breeding program, great support for puppy raisers, and specific
characteristics they consider when determining if a dog will make a good
dog guide. They also work with other service dog schools in the Detroit, MI
area to career change dogs if that is needed. My most recent information is
that the school maintains ownership of the Leader Dog for the first year it
has been placed and the dog is automatically turned over to the handler
after that time. That is not any part of my consideration but may be for
you. I also live in Cincinnati, about 5 hours from the center so if I need
support it is available. I have never needed that support. They have also
contacted me any time I have called with any questions or concerns. That
includes trainers, my graduate contact person and the vets. BTW, the food
and lodging are excellent. I would recommend you make a checklist of things
you think a school must have and then do research. I believe many people on
this list, other dog handlers and the schools will be happy to talk with
you.

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053