[NAGDU] Dog names

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Apr 20 13:56:35 UTC 2018

TSE sent out a thing to all their supporters about dog naming.  I thought it
was rather amusing, so I'm pasting it below.

Personally, I'm not too keen on human names for dogs, though George and Jack
are OK by me.  Mary and Richard are right out.

Anyway, here it is.

Tracy

Dog Naming Tips

*	KEEP the name to one or two syllables. Occasionally, The Seeing Eye
does select three syllable names. Shorter names are easier to say and when
paired with a command, make for faster communication with your dog.

*	MAKE sure the name does not sound too close to any commands that you
plan to use because this will confuse the dog. For example, "Mo" can sound
like "No" and "Kit" sounds like "Sit."

*	AVOID names that have negative connotations. Think of what it would
feel like to run through a public space shouting your dog's name. If you
would be embarrassed, you shouldn't choose that name.

The Seeing Eye and Dog Naming

We name our puppies at 2 weeks of age. The Seeing Eye Puppy Development
Manager has the honor of generating and bestowing the names. All the puppies
in a litter are given a name that starts with the same letter. The litters
are named alphabetically. We begin with A on October 1st, the beginning of
our fiscal year. Then each puppy in the next litter gets a name that begins
with B, and all the way through to the "Z" litter, when we start over again.

"Our dogs have between 65 and 70 litters each year. So we go through the
entire alphabet a couple of times a year. Sometimes with the tough letters
like X or Z, I really have to get creative."

- Jill Jaycox, Puppy Development Manager at The Seeing Eye

Our Greatest Hits

Here Are Some of Our Most Commonly Requested Sponsored Puppy Names:

Anne

George

Mac

Mickey

Rosie

Archie

Grace

Maggie

Molly

Sandy

Bailey

Happy

Mary

Penny

Scout

Charlie

Jack

Max

Richard

Star

Fresh Off The Birth Certificate! Here Are a Few of the Puppy Names Currently
in Use at The Seeing Eye:

Ace

Flower

Kayla