[NAGDU] Guiding Eyes dog attacked twice, owner speaking up for all service animals

Milissa Garside mgarside2 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 23:31:22 UTC 2018

Cindy,

Yes, I too thought of our dogs being protective and the way that you described. However, like you said, most would not interpret our dogs protecting us as the way you described. This is just my opinion but, I think that when we as handler’s speak to the media, it is important that we stick to factual information. And if we do not, it is important to clarify certain things. For example, had this woman described what she meant by her dog protecting her, it would be OK. Instead, one comes away from reading the article believing that guide dogs also serve as guard dogs.

What I also find interesting is that as far as we know, the handler in question or the school has not corrected this miss information about the dogs protecting us. I know the article regarding comfort pets was discussed on this list. I follow guide dogs for the blind on Facebook and they not only posted the article but promoted it. I know I didn’t comment on this issue on this list but, on guide dogs for the blind Facebook page, I did point out that there was no such thing as a comfort pet and that service dog such as guide dogs are not considered comfort pets. I also indicated that it was shoddy reporting and stated that I thought it was sad that guide dogs for the blind was promoting this misinformation given that the article was riddled with inaccuracies. But, in discussing this issue with another guy dog handler, sadly, I came to the conclusion that some of these schools will do anything for PR in order to keep the dollars  coming to help those poor blind people. Just my cynical opinion. :-)

Milissa

Sent from my iPhone