[NAGDU] KRON Clip About Comfort Pets.

David david at bakerinet.com
Mon Apr 30 01:04:59 UTC 2018

I wanted to share with you, the correspondence I've had the Michelle
Kingston, who put the segment about ESA's and service animals.

Unfortunately, I will be traveling and while I will be able to read
your replies, I will not be able to respond until May 6th.

David Baker in Clearwater, FL

Thank you for your reply, Michelle.  Unfortunately. the lead-off
announcer said that you were going to report on _"why both people feel
their comfort pets should be allowed in public."_

Despite your attempt to explain the dilemma faced by service dog owners,
your entire presentation was undercut by the words of the woman who
introduced you.  It is this kind of ill-informed broadcasting that
creates a false impression among those who do not know the difference
between emotional support animals and service animals.  Danielles' dog
is a working dog that has just as serious a job as explosive and drug
sniffing dogs, police dogs and cadaver seeking dogs.  Those of us with
service dogs feel the error was significant and serious.  The station
should apologize about this error on the air and correct it.   Instead
of shedding light on the subject, as you intended, the introduction
managed to undermine efforts of the service animal community to draw
attention to the difference.

David Baker

On 4/27/2018 6:21 PM, Michelle Kingston wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Thanks for your email! That’s exactly what our story was about.
> Theresa is visually impaired and was expressing how concerned she was
> that people were abusing the system, registering their pets as
> emotional support animals, when they are not trained, and making her
> life more difficult when she’s out with her service dog, Wills. We
> included Dana’s story as well to show that some people who do register
> their dogs as emotional support animals believe they’re doing it for
> the right reasons. I’m sorry if that was not more clear. We received a
> tour of the national headquarters for Guide Dogs for the Blind. It’s
> incredible to see how much work goes into those dogs before they are
> matched with someone. And yes, it’s very true that service dogs and
> emotional support animals are very different.
>
> Have a great weekend and thanks for watching KRON!
>
> -Michelle Kingston

*David in Clearwater, FL*
*david at bakerinet.com*