[NAGDU] My dog's weird stubborn behavior, suggestions?

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 20:03:25 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I have a mail yellow lab, and he is a particularly stubborn one.  He's
a good boy and doesn't get distracted by much, and he loves to work.
But he likes for people to do things for him.  For example, if he
thinks someone else will get the door, he does not want to show it to
me because he would rather it be opened for us.  I know he can find
doors when they're in his line of sight or he remembers they are
there, and when he does it, he is very proud of himself.  But
sometimes I have to make him find them.  This is also the dog who
really can't use the follow command because he thinks that if he's
following, he doesn't have to work beyond basic guiding around
obstacles.

I plan to walk around with my roommate next week and have him find
some doors for us.  She is good about letting me walk ahead so that he
can do it.  But as we all know, most sighted people lose their
patience, and they eventually get the door for us.  My dog will
literally look at people when he wants them to get the door.  He also
looks at people when he thinks I don't know where I'm going, and he
slows down to try and follow them.  He's kind of a manipulator.  Lol

Any other ideas?  I am firm with him, and although I don't use food
rewards often, I can break them out if you guys think that's the best
course of action.  He is good at listening when I tell him to hup-up
or speed up, and his obedience in general is totally fine.  It's just
this thing with manipulating other people into opening doors, leading
the way, etc.  Thanks.

--
Julie A. McGinnity
MM Vocal Performance, 2015; President, National Federation of the