[NAGDU] Taurine levels in dogs

Becky Frankeberger b.butterfly at comcast.net
Fri Aug 24 13:29:02 UTC 2018

Please watch this video and check your dog food ingredients.This video is of
Dr. Joshua Stern who is doing the testing at UC Davis. If they are suspect,
it is a good idea to get a taurine level checked to see if your dog may be
developing or already have heart disease. If the test comes back low on
taurine, the next step is a echocardiogram. In the video Dr. Stern did not
elaborate but testing is going on at UC Davis. Please join one of the
following groups on FB which has all the info in files and how to test your
dogs. If you have a Golden: Taurine Deficiency in Golden Retrievers,
Other breeds and Mixes: Taurine-Deficient Dilated Cardiomyopathy.

Please note a check up will not tell you if your dog has this. It is silent
and once there are symptoms, it is usually too late.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Xz2vBDOZU
<https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Xz2vBDOZU&a> &a mp;feature=youtu.be

My dogs have been tested and both are normal but I have changed their foods
since I did not like what was in either of them, suspected ingredients. Do
not change foods until you have done the taurine testing. If you do, there
is no way to tell if it is the heart issues or from low taurine or a genetic
form which are treated differently. Charmer was retested this week and
should have those results next week.

Many are not taking this seriously but I know dogs who have died from this
and every day ones on these groups are testing low, having this disease and
congestive heart failure. If it is caught early, it may be able to turn
around. We have seen that happen for many dogs.

Many vets act like they never heard of it. You can get all the info in the
files of these groups to take to your vet. If they are not willing then find
one who is.

Golden Hugs,
Diana