[NAGDU] Belto is heading for retirement pretty soon

Jordan Gallacher jordangandbelto at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 02:57:19 UTC 2018

Well, i am beginning to think about retiring Belto.  His work is much too dangerous to continue working him.  He has developed a weird thing of pulling much to hard to the left and especially during street crossings, we end up in a lane of traffic.  Telling him find the curb is not doing much nor is telling him right find the curb.  He just looks around and continues straight ahead.  Also, his sniffing and distraction level has increased quite a bit.  If that was the only problem, i could work with that.  Around other guide dogs at work is a problem as well.  He is quite literally chasing them among other things.  Leaving work it was even worse.  I told him forward, and all he wanted to do was do a 180 and take off after the dog that was behind me more than once.  Not going to even mention what he tried to do while I was walking to the table at the restaurant, but it involved, him lunging at the waiter.  i ahve a field rep coming down tomorrow after work, but unfortunately from talking to him on the phone and prior dealings I have had with this particular person at another school, tomorrow is not going to get anywhere.  So, I am beginning to look at options guide dog school wise unless something can be done to get Belto to start acting the way he should again.  I know what I need to do, pinch collar will do the trick with him again, but it has not made it up to PA from Louisiana yet.
Jordan

Sent from my iPhone