[NAGDU] Refused at medical office

Retina pwolf1 at wolfskills.com
Thu Dec 20 23:32:55 UTC 2018

Hi folks,

Will the legally informed of you please advise me…

My wife and I just went into an MD Aesthetician’s office to inquire about a procedure.  I had Metukah, and she had here service dog Kira.  On entering, the receptionist, instead of “hello,” said to us at the door, “Sorry, the dog will have to go outside”.  Andrea said, “She’s a service dog; by federal law she can he can be with me.”

The receptionist called over another who took over.  She asked a few operative questions about whether she had advance paperwork for the procedure.  As she did the room temperature dropped.  She followed that that Kira could not accompany her into an exam room, “because they are sterile.”  This was curious, because we had recently visited a physician in a clinic up in Portland, where were inquiring as well in case the procedure might be done up there.  They had no issue in the lobby, or in the exam room.

In this case, when Andrea said in response that there should not be an issue and that by law she could accompany her in an exam room, (even if not specifically inside a surgical suite which might be understandable), frost formed on this receptionist and on the walls.

My wife said to me that she was uncomfortable, picked up the paperwork, and we left.  Too bad, because this physician was a wonderful man and a great doctor who once saved her life with emergency surgery.  We knew that since his career change to skin, he’d probably be one of the best locally.

We would like to do him the courtesy of writing an informational letter so that he learns what happened and has a chance to get his staff educated.  My wife said that she is considering filing a complaint with DOJ.  But before that, we should simply get clear information as it applies to this specific circumstance.  Can one of you who is clear on ADA with this specific type situation inform us?

Thanks,
Peter