[NAGDU] Questions

Julie Johnson julielj at neb.rr.com
Sat Dec 29 15:14:52 UTC 2018

I live in a tiny town and I frequently walk places where wildlife is
prevalent.  I think the first thing to figure out is what sorts of wildlife
may be in the area and what their behavior might be.  For example, there are
lots of deer, rabbits, squirrels, birds, horses  and cows around.   None of
these present any sort of danger for me or my dog, but sometimes it is
startling to hear some large animal running through the brush.  I also need
to be aware of my dog's reactions.  Early on Monty was okay with stationary
animals, but if they took off running he'd want to chase.  He's pretty well
over that now, but will on occasion do a little dance because he still wants
to chase but knows better.  Jetta has no interest in animals of any variety,
moving or still.  I can tell when she notices something though because she
likes to pause and look.

Coyotes are definitely around here.  They are mostly out at night though and
they prefer to not be where people are.  Coyotes hunt small prey, like
rabbits, and will scavenge.  They might go after deer, but I have never
heard of any bothering people. If you make some amount of noise as you move
it will likely be enough to scare off the coyotes.

We had mountain lions here a few years ago, but none have been seen
recently.  They did come into town and could have been a danger to people.
They were most active around dawn and dusk and were often sighted in a
certain area of town.  I avoided walking there at dawn and dusk.

I went on a camping trip in a bear recovery zone.  This is where they
relocate bears who have wandered into cities.   We were advised to go hiking
in pairs or groups.  If a bear showed interest we were told to make lots of
noise and try to appear large.  So if you were wearing a jacket you should
open it and stretch it between your arms to make yourself appear larger. We
were also told to under no circumstances ever run.  running will trigger the
prey drive in predatory animals and they will chase.  However, all that
said, the guides on this trip did have large guns and were prepared to use
them if they heard any of the attendees screaming in the woods.

As to dogs, I really don't know.  If I know of a place where the dogs are
frequently running loose, I avoid it if at all possible.  If a dog comes
toward me, I stop and step in front of my dog putting myself between the two
dogs.  I then use the voice of command, which is low and menacing to warn
the other dog of impending doom.  Usually at this point the other dog will
stop or pause and rethink things.  If the dog persists in coming toward me,
he gets a boot.

I have heard of people using pop up umbrellas like a shield.  I've heard of
using pepper spray, ultra sonic devices, carried objects to hit the dog with
and the use your phone to take a video or call for help.  I've thought about
all of these and honestly, in the moment I don't have enough thinking
ability to use any of these.  I simply react.  In order for me to be able to
do something different, I think I would have to practice it a lot so it
became a reaction and I think I'd have to walk with the needed accessory in
my hand.  Walking about with pepper spray or a club in my hand feels a bit
paranoid to me.  I am not very enthused to go that route.   If I happened to
be carrying something I certainly wouldn't hesitate to use it though.  I
think if you are going to use your phone you would need to start the video
as you leave your home or use it after the initial event to get a visual
confirmation of the other dog and owner if available.  Dog encounters happen
so fast, I don't think starting the video as the other dog approaches is at
all practical.

I hope you will find something that works for you.  feeling safe is
important.
Julie
On The Go with Guide-and-Service-Dogs.com
http://www.guide-and-service-dogs.com
also find my products in the Blind Mice Mega Mall
<https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Directory_Departments?storeid=1916046>