[NAGDU] Delta and our dogs

Gabriel Moloney gmoloney6467 at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 1 17:25:22 UTC 2018

Hi All
yes, I can hear people saying not another post on this matter, that’s how I feel, when I get notifications on my phone or on my computer.  I am finding these posts getting boring now, yes, I can also hear people saying that I could skip over them or just delete them, this is true, at the moment this is what i am doing as they take up a good amount in my in box.
I would just like to give my 2cent worth here, as somebody who travels overseas several times a year, since 2016, I have to produce my guide’s medical book which is a requirment by all airlines that travel to the United States, it is not just a requirement from the airlines it is also requested by both D O A that this carried out.  The following has to be done by overseas guide dog owners who work and live in Europe and who travel to the United States every time.
1: guide dog to attend a vet for examination fitness to travel and receives treatment for Flee, worming etc.  This has to be carried out by your Vet at least 48hours before you travel, if this is not done you will not be allowed to travel with your guide.  All this information is inserted into your dog’s passport which is recognised world wide, hence no large amount of paper work to be carried.
this has to be carried out if you are returning back to Europe.  The funny thing about this I have never been asked to produce my guide medical book when i return to the States, however if I do not get this done we can not travel.  Yes the airline will know that I am traveling with a guide dog when I get to the airport I do not inform them before hand and I would like to point this fact out as i think it is important.  Another issue that has come up in threads posts etc, is the fact of not being able to check in on line etc, well people again people who live and work in Europe cannot check in on line when traveling to the States, so we do not have a choice when traveling, do we get special treatment in airport or airline no, yes iI agree this is a pain in the rear end when traveling with people who have to wait in line sighted or not.
So I am just going to summarise here now:
1 Yes this will have an impact on me as I travel 20th of March this flight was booked well in advance of policy changes from this airline and they will accept my guide’s medical book for proof do not have to upload this to any website that Delta have set up and I have this in writing, yes by email, so I have it on several devices.  Which i am happy about, as this confirmation is for a year, even for internal flights, as I start my new post in March in Portland OR.  It from what I understand is to stop animals and in this case dogs behaving very badly on their planes, maybe this is me looking at this in a simple way they are not looking to stop one boarding a flight with your guide dog, yes I completely understand it is agains the law under ADA for them to do so.
You can be asked to leave a business if your dog is not behaving its self and you the owner-handler cannot control it you will be asked to leave and one would not have a leg to stand on.  Again, if your dog is not well groomed etc again you can be asked to leave.  My point here, is bad behaviour from service dogs and handlers - owners cannot control them should be asked to leave, be that on a flight or a business.  I know that this is a very important topic to be discussed here where people can express their thoughts on this matter, but come on people wait and see what happens after the meeting with both parties Delta and NFB.

yes I am a guide dog owner and working my sixth at the moment and would be worried if in the future I was to be refused travel by any airline because they did not know the law in regards to service dogs being allowed to travel with us.  Thats my 2cent worth it looks like more than 2cent more like well leave that up to the reader hahahahaha
Lets hope that all will go well for tomorrows meeting.
Regards
Gabriel