[NAGDU] Harness aversion

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 7 20:17:05 UTC 2018

Hello:

I am surprised that his trainer did not solve this problem before  you got
him.  Anyway now you are stuck with it.  I would clip the leash to his
collar first and gently guide his head through the harness while giving
gentle praise and encouragement.  Once his head is in even if you did most
of the work for him give plenty of excited praise and a nice treat.  It
might help to use an extra special treat that he only gets when it is time
to get into his harness.  Hold the treat out in front of him so he can see
it and smell it while you are guiding his head into the harness. Make it a
real celebration for getting into his harness.  Do not worry about getting
him too excited before working for now while your goal is to get him into
the harness.  It may mean that you have to start getting him ready about ten
minutes earlier so he can calm down before working.  In the end it will
gradually help him to realize that getting into his harness is no big deal.
I did this when my last guide dog Tara lost her confidence for work and was
reluctant to get into her harness.  It did not take long at all before she
was happily wagging her tail and thrusting her curly golden head through
that harness.  I always had the treats ready just in case she suffered
another lack of interest in her harness.  Good luck getting your new pup
dressed for work.

Sandra Johnson
SLJohnson25 at comcast.net