[NAGDU] Long international flights and dog relief

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sun Feb 11 14:55:07 UTC 2018

I have flown with my dog from New York to Ireland, which was a 6-hour
flight.  I took the dog out several times beforehand, including using the
indoor relief area at the airport as close to departure as possible.  It
worked out OK.  The flight is actually shorter than the time my dog sleeps
at night.

I have heard that the Japanese train their dogs so well with the relieving
harness that, if necessary, the dog can relieve itself in the aisle of a
plane without making any kind of mess.  I was mightily impressed, and I'm
going to experiment with the relieving harness.  I don't plan to let my dog
try relieving on the plane, but it would be nice to know it's possible, as a
last resort.
Tracy