[NAGDU] fines for bad behavior

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Mon Feb 12 17:25:24 UTC 2018

For all the behaviors you mention, the business may lawfully have the
handler remove the dog as things stand now, if the handler does not take
effective action to control the dog. If the business chooses instead to
allow the behavior to continue, then haven't they sort of agreed to
allow it in their establishment? When someone brings in a non-service
dog, claiming that it is one, or when a disabled handler brings in a
fully trained service dog and doesn't keep it on the straight and
narrow, then it is the business whose rights are being violated. The
business also has the right to allow that sort of thing to go on. If
they choose to allow it, then the results are also their responsibility.
If they choose to loose customers in favor of barking, sprawling dogs,
then that's up to them. If businesses can't use the laws that already
protect their rights, why waste paper on new laws? And so on.

If the handler refuses to remove his rotten mutt and the law does get
involved somehow, then if it is discovered in that process that the
handler is not disabled and/or the dog is not task trained, penalties
would be a useful thing, I think. Or maybe having the handler pay the
business's legal fees if it turns out there was no discrimination?
Something like that. I think in some places that does happen with
frivolous lawsuits, but I could be wrong.

At this point, I'm pretty frustrated by all the whining and
hand-wringing from business owners who haven't figured out that they
have a responsibility to know what the law is and who are too timid to
exercise their rights, which are implicit in that law. I mean, oooh!
Someone might sue! Oh, no! They would then have to give some extra
training to their employees. Which they should have done in the first
place. Nowadays, social media could cost them more, but if they can show
video of the situation that caused them to have the dog removed, that
could be turned around.

It's not all that simple, of course, and so the discussion does go on
and on. Someday, someone will come up with a solution that actually
makes sense and works to address the problem without creating more havoc
for service dog users, most especially for little old me. I tell myself
that, anyway. /lol/

Tami