[NAGDU] Registering Guide Dog at Work

Michael Hingson mike at michaelhingson.com
Wed Jan 3 00:55:30 UTC 2018

Mike,

Having your guide dog at work is by any standard a "reasonable
accommodation" under the ADA. Your dog is not a pet.

At the same time I suggest that you pick your battles. Is there anything
objectionable about your employer's "pet policy"? One thing I can think of
is that any policy you might sign should not refer to your dog as a pet. In
general I agree that you should not be required to sign anything because
your dog is not a pet, but part of you and necessary for you to do your job.
You need to decide if discretion is the better part of valor.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson