[NAGDU] Clicker training curbs and traffic

Julie Johnson julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Jan 18 23:26:32 UTC 2018

Yes, you can clicker train curbs, but you need to separate the skill of
stopping at the curb from traffic training.  Those are two separate skill
sets.  Stopping at curbs is one of the very first things I teach.  Traffic
training is near the very end.  What I'd suggest is to teach stopping at
curbs, then heel the dog across the street while using your cane, at least
in the very beginning.  Then when you are ready to teach targeting the up
curb on the other side, start on streets with very little traffic.  Once the
dog is stopping at curbs reliably, targeting the up curb reliably and has
demonstrated an understanding of moving obstacles of the non car variety,
then you can introduce traffic training. By the time you get to the traffic
training part, the treats for  stopping at the curb will be random and
hopefully unanticipated.

HTH
Julie
On The Go with Guide-and-Service-Dogs.com
http://www.guide-and-service-dogs.com
also find my products in the Blind Mice Mega Mall
<https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Directory_Departments?storeid=1916046>