[NAGDU] Clicker training curbs and traffic

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Fri Jan 19 01:42:25 UTC 2018

Yiska,

Sorry, I don't know of any tutorials. Here's how I use clicker training
to teach my owner-trained dogs to stop at curbs. I'm starting at a
different place than someone with a working guide.

 From the first walk around the block, I teach the pup to stop at curbs
using clicker (or verbal marker) and treats. This is also the beginning
of teaching curb-to-curb travel and basic directional commands. For the
most part, I give the pup a lot of freedom to sniff and explore as we go
along, with some minimal expectations in addition to stopping at the
curb. Eventually, the pup begins to stop without reminding, even when it
is out ahead of me, so then I start using clicker-training to work on
positioning a bit more, gradually teaching the dog to stop in guide
position at the curb and wait for the forward command, since we're
crossing streets by then. I tend to click without the treat for a
straight crossing, since the reward is going on for more exploration and
sniffing. We're still quite a ways from harness training at this point,
just gradually putting in the building blocks as we go.

Once we're crossing streets, I make a bit of a deal about listening for
cars, talking to the pup to get its attention and so forth. I think the
pup begins to pay attention to what I'm paying attention to before we go
on because standing at the curb is boring, so the pup wants to help move
things along. I've also started phasing out treats at the curb by this
point, giving them intermittently to reinforce positioning as well as
the stop. Both of my dogs have more or less phased themselves out of the
treats, since what they really want to do is to go and explore. So that
makes it easy for me. With a more food-oriented dog, I would have to pay
attention to the phase out process, I guess. Anyway, the pup is now
trained to stop at curbs in position, or close to it, to travel
curb-to-curb and to watch for something. It just seems like in the
process of crossing a gzillion streets over  however many weeks and
months, the pup figures it is cars we are watching for and starts giving
me indications about cars and to figure out that moving cars are dangerous.

By the time I get around to getting a guide harness and taking the dog
out in it the first time, he knows pretty much what to do, so I click
and treat to reinforce his good decisions and begin refining. So I'll be
giving treats at those curbs again, until the dog lets me know he's more
interested in watching to see if it's safe to cross so we can go on to
the adventure of the next block.

Anyway, that's pretty much what has worked with both of my poodles. By
the time they're really learning to watch for traffic, they're pretty
much past thinking about treats at curbs. Loki was funny. He would
sometimes turn his head for a treat just for reassurance or something at
the beginning of harness training. Other times, I would offer a treat,
and he would decline it. But even when as he was taking a treat when he
wanted one, he would be watching, so I didn't worry about it much.

hth,

Tami