[NAGDU] A Short Note on the Delta Issue

Michael Forzano michaeldforzano at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 22:31:16 UTC 2018

Hi Marion,

One thing that hasn't been discussed much is that many handlers might
not know about the policy change. If a handler is not involved in the
blind community, a member of NAGDU, etc. I think it's totally
reasonable that they might just show up at the airport, assuming they
have the right to fly without documentation as always, and be denied
boarding. Yes, Delta has obviously done a lot of media outreach on
this, but glancing over the articles one could conceivably conclude
that the policy only applies to emotional support animals. I have seen
people making that claim even on the guide dog lists and Facebook.

I fully support bringing the ACAA in line with the ADA, but especially
given the current political climate I don't have high hopes that this
will happen before the policy goes into effect, and someone has their
travel plans ruined by it.

So, I hope that NAGDU will consider a short-term solution (i.e.
negotiating with Delta to change or roll back the policy with respect
to service animals). As a frequent traveler on Delta, I am willing to
help in any way I can.

Mike