[NAGDU] Disappointed in Guiding Eyes for the Blind's Response

Raul A. Gallegos raul at raulgallegos.com
Thu Jan 25 20:07:43 UTC 2018

Christopher, I think the answer is going to be better education. If
businesses like airlines, restaurants, ETC, are educated in the proper
way of trying to identify a service animal, that will cut out most of
the fakes. For example, do you know the two questions which can be
asked? Anyone who is a legit handler should know these, while fake
animal handlers may not. If Nelly Neighbor wants to take Rover for a
flight across the country just so she doesn't have to pay boarding
costs, she may not know the answer to these two questions. I've seen it
where people get offended that someone would dare to question the reason
for these questions getting asked in the first place. Those people are
most likely the fake handlers. Delta's attempt to solve this by
requiring us handlers to be treated differently will not be the answer.
As I said on the Guiding Eyes list, I am saddened that they are taking
the passive approach of simply offering to give users the ability to
give Delta what they are proposing, yet failing to see that Delta's idea
is violating our rights.

--
Raul A. Gallegos
Assistive Technology Trainer - RGA Tech Solutions
Personal Email: raul at raulgallegos.com
Work Email: training at rgats.com
Twitter: @rga7285 and @RGATrainer

“Any teacher that can be replaced with a computer, deserves to be.” -
David Thornburg