[NAGDU] Let's Talk About it! GDB or GEB?

Sherry Gomes sherriola at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 21:56:48 UTC 2018

Hey Danielle,

I'm a long time GDB grad and have seen the school go through many changes in
over 40 years. I did apply to GEB the last time, because I was angry and
distraught over some things a former CEO  did at GDB. I was accepted but
they wanted to put me in their special needs program which would have meant
waiting two more years. I'd already been accepted to GDB, and they'd kicked
the evil CEO to the curb, so I got my dog from them again.

In 1975, when I got my first guide dog, GDB was the only school that would
accept me due to my juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. They have consistently
given me good dogs, with a slow pace and lots of initiative. I only have one
major negative thing about them, and that is that they don't give ownership
immediately upon graduation. You have to wait a year, and then you have to
request it and your field manager has to agree.

As for what the class is like: it's two weeks long. You arrive on Sunday and
receive your dog the next day. They have small classes, so you are working
with one trainer for the whole time and have one other student with you.
This gives the students longer routes, more chances to customize later in
training, that sort of thing. The breeds they use are labs, goldens and
crosses, lab/golden. You'd have routes in busy city environments, small
town, rural, public transportation, malls, escalators, all that kind of
thing.

The application process is fairly straightforward, online app, in-home
interview with an instructor, medical report, eye report for first timers,
O&M report for first timers, if you've had that kind of training in the last
few years. During the interview, they'll want to see you travel
independently, cross streets, and at least one of those with a light if
possible. They will also do a Juno walk, where they instructor will show you
how to hold the harness and will guide you, letting you give a few commands
and get a bit of a feel of what it will be like. Believe me, an instructor
doesn't feel a bit like a dog pulling, but it's an idea of it.

Feel free to ask me any questions here or off list.

Sherry
Sherry.gomes at outlook.com