[NAGDU] Just out of curiosity

Lisa Belville missktlab1217 at frontier.com
Sat Jul 21 23:56:31 UTC 2018

Hi, all.

I don't remember the exact advice they gave us at GDA when I got Paige,
but I'm with those of you who stay away from dog parks. It's bad enough
when a supposedly trained and leashed dog is running wild while its
clueless owner does nothing.  Put same dog and clueless owner in a
situation where the dog has no leash and it's a recipe for disaster,
IMO.  The average dog user and those of us with working dogs have
completely opposite interpretations of play.  <sigh>  Also, I wouldn't
want to put any Guide Dog in a situation where they felt threatened,
either in or out of harness.

Having said that, I let Paige play with my sister's adopted Boxer
Mastiff Mix.  yes, he's huge. . . Think show quality Boxer body with a
Mastiff Head photoshopped on the neck.  LOL   but like most big dogs he
has no clue he's supposed to be threatening. He's very well mannered and
obedient, and he and Paige usually have a few minutes of vigorous
sniffing, nipping, and play bowing when they first meet, then they
settle down and will occasionally groom each other during their
remaining time together.

We let them meet each other under very controlled circumstances for the
first few times before we felt comfortable letting them be off leash
with each other.

I've found that Paige isn't as excited by other dogs if she has a chance
to socialize occasionally with a doggie friend.  My previous dog was
very dog driven, so having a dog who can work past a loose dog or a
yappy fenced in dog without ripping my arm off to say hello is wonderful.

Lisa And Paige

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217 at frontier.com