[NAGDU] Just out of curiosity

GARY STEEVES rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Sun Jul 22 20:39:34 UTC 2018

Hello:This is always an interesting discussion.  At my school they told us poodle handlers that we had to make sure we ran our dogs at least once a week. backyards don't do it.  I hear what people are saying about what can go wrong at dog parks.  I usually go to a new dog park with a sighted person a few times to get the general idea of the types of owners/dogs that go there.  For me, I know there are risks but I've decided that I want to be sure my dog is happy. This involves working, being with me, playing with toys in the house and running free off leash.  My favourite thing is when we go hiking and he can be off leash.  I am continuously working on hisrecall so it is great.  Yes, my last dog weas bitten a couple of times, not thathe he noticed that much, but most of the time he certainly had a good time. My new dog seems even better at engaging dogs in play and just staying away from troubled dogs.The key thing is that no one should do anything they aren't comfortable with. think of the pros / cons for you and your dog.  Gary----- Original Message -----From: Lisa Belville via NAGDU <nagdu at nfbnet.org>To: Elizabeth Campbell via NAGDU <nagdu at nfbnet.org>Cc: Lisa Belville <missktlab1217 at frontier.com>Sent: Sat, 21 Jul 2018 17:56:31 -0600 (MDT)Subject: Re: [NAGDU] Just out of curiosityHi, all.I don't remember the exact advice they gave us at GDA when I got Paige, but I'm with those of you who stay away from dog parks. It's bad enough when a supposedly trained and leashed dog is running wild while its clueless owner does nothing.  Put same dog and clueless owner in a situation where the dog has no leash and it's a recipe for disaster, IMO.  The average dog user and those of us with working dogs have completely opposite interpretations of play.  <sigh>  Also, I wouldn't want to put any Guide Dog in a situation where they felt threatened,  either in or out of harness.Having said that, I let Paige play with my sister's adopted Boxer Mastiff Mix.  yes, he's huge. . . Think show quality Boxer body with a Mastiff Head photoshopped on the neck.  LOL   but like most big dogs he has no clue he's supposed to be threatening. He's very well mannered and obedient, and he and Paige usually have a few minutes of vigorous sniffing, nipping, and play bowing when they first meet, then they settle down and will occasionally groom each other during their remaining time together.We let them meet each other under very controlled circumstances for the first few times before we felt comfortable letting them be off leash with each other.I've found that Paige isn't as excited by other dogs if she has a chance to socialize occasionally with a doggie friend.  My previous dog was very dog driven, so having a dog who can work past a loose dog or a yappy fenced in dog without ripping my arm off to say hello is wonderful.Lisa And PaigeLisa Belvillemissktlab1217 at frontier.com_______________________________________________NAGDU mailing listNAGDU at nfbnet.orghttp://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/nagdu_nfbnet.orgTo unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for NAGDU:http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/rainshadowmusic%40shaw.ca