[NAGDU] Bones and Degrees of Chewers

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 18:00:27 UTC 2018

Dogs are carnivores, and in the wild they would eat about 10% bone.
Sure, if you give your dog a large raw bone every day, that is way too
much. However, giving your dog a raw bone once or twice a week is not
at all nutritionally a problem. Consider also that most raw bones are
meant to be eaten in one sitting or removed after a while and put back
in the fridge/freezer. You can leave out bones like marrow bones once
the marrow is mostly or entirely gone though, because they are large
enough that they are meant for recreational chewing and not
consumption.

I give my dogs marrow bones, and they are too hard for the dog to
really eat at all. They eat the meat off the outside and the marrow
out of the middle, but very little of the bone itself. It takes
anywhere from 1-5 hours depending on the size and shape of the bone.

Also, giving a dog bones will by no means in itself make the dog beg
for food. Your dog will beg for food if you feed them while you are
eating/preparing food. It matters where and when the food is given,
not so much what the food is. Dogs don't know what is "dog food" or
"people food", but most dogs should know the difference between food
given in their bowls/toys and food on the kitchen table. It's similar
to how dogs learn that the NylaBone and Kong on the floor are
acceptable to play with, but taking socks out of the laundry basket is
not OK.

Danielle and Thai