[NAGDU] Poodles and doodles

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Tue May 1 17:31:40 UTC 2018

Tara,

I'm on my second owner-trained poodle guide, who just turned 4 last
week. I got both from a breeder here in Oregon. My first, a female named
Mitzi was 7 months old when she arrived on my doorstep. Loki, a male,
was 11 weeks old when we picked him up to bring him home. They're the
only guide dogs I've had, so I can only compare them to the other common
breeds from all the anecdotes I've heard over the years.

Poodles are super smart, super high energy and super high alert. This
can add up to really great work, especially if you like adventure and
new places and challenges. Other times, it all adds up to a total PITA
which must be managed with care. Just cracking down on a wound-up poodle
makes things worse and can create ongoing problems, so they're not the
dog for control freaks. On the other hand, they'll do anything, anything
at all, if you just ask them to and let on that it will make you happy.
It's very difficult for them to just be quietly out of the way when
stuff is going on around them, and that's the part that drives me mad in
training and in their early work. They're quite vocal, though they can
learn to be quiet on the job. They tend towards separation anxiety. They
need a lot of play and exercise to expend excess energy. I remember when
somebody asked how much time people spend playing with their guide dogs
every day. All the lab owners said about 15 minutes. A poodle guide
owner said she plays at least an hour a day after a very busy working
schedule. That, I could relate to.

The grooming does get expensive, especially if you like to keep the dog
trimmed down and have it done frequently. I've also found that when my
dog gets fluffy in the face, it is more irrestistible to the general
public. It was a bit of a problem for Mitzi, who is a bit more
standoffish with strangers and would get a little stressed from the
extra attention. Loki loves the extra attention, though he's finally
learned to manage his friendliness. Mostly.

One thing that seems to be very different is that the poodle can appear
to be totally distracted from the work while guiding their handler quite
safely through impossible obstacle courses. The handler won't know the
obstacles are even there unless some panicked member of the sighted
public brings it to their attention because it looks to them like the
dog is out to get the handler killed. Both of mine are really predictive
and like to make decisions way ahead of time. I really like that, but
it's confusing when there's an obstacle a block or two ahead that I
can't detect, so I have a long argument with the dog over its insistence
that we need to detour. Every now and then, I decide it's time to put my
foot down and make that obnoxious dog do what it is supposed to do. I've
been wrong every time and gotten us into big trouble. Mitzi took great
delight in saying "I told you so," but Loki just sort of sighs and gets
on with extricating us from whatever mess I insisted we get into.

hth,

Tami