[NAGDU] Interim Regulations of the ACAA concerning Service Dogs/ESAs

NAGDU President blind411 at verizon.net
Tue May 8 01:20:43 UTC 2018

Please circulate the following information as widely as appropriate. For
more information, please send an email to

info at nagdu.org

                The United States Office of Information and Regulatory
Affairs is preparing to promulgate interim regulations for the Air Carrier
Access Act concerning the carriage of service animals and emotional support
animals. These interim regulations will create new rules for the ACAA that
will be effective until new regulations can be promulgated by the United
States Department of Transportation. At some point after the release of the
interim regulations, the DOT will release an Advance Notice of Proposed Rule
Making (ANPRM) at which time the public will have an opportunity to make
comment. After the comment period, the DOT will then release a Notice of
Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) and afford another comment period.

                On Monday, May 7, representatives from the National
Federation of the Blind in consultation with the National Association of
Guide Dog Users, its special interest division, met with officials from the
Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs to offer input concerning the
interim rules. It is important to understand that the interim rules have not
been released nor do we have any information about their content. We were
only afforded an opportunity to present our position on what we feel these
regulations should entail. The Office did ask questions of our
representatives; however, their line of questioning did not reveal any
specific information about the content of the interim regulations.

                The position we presented was that service animal users
should not be subjected to any additional requirements, such as advance
notification, proof of immunization, documentation of the animal's training,
nor specific restrictions for check-in. We stated that service animal users
should have the freedom to spontaneously purchase air travel accommodations
on terms of full equality with our nondisabled peers. We are hoping the
interim regulations will reflect the input we have offered to the Office of
Information and Regulatory Affairs.

                We have been told that the interim regulations are planned
for release in time to be implemented by the summer travel season. As soon
as the interim regulations are released, we will post a message to the NAGDU
Twitter feed and to our Facebook group. If you would like to be among the
first to receive this information, please subscribe to our social media
accounts by following the links below my signature.

Fraternally yours,

Marion Gwizdala, President

National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc. (NAGDU)

National Federation of the Blind

(813) 626-2789

President at NAGDU.ORG

Visit our website <http://nagdu.org/>

Follow us on Twitter <http://twitter.com/nagdu>

expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind  people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you back.