[NAGDU] American Airlines and My Blind Spot join forces....

NAGDU President blind411 at verizon.net
Wed May 16 17:22:53 UTC 2018

David,

	I appreciate your reasoned response and support. All too often
individuals with their own agenda and personal perspective attempt to assert
their individual opinions as speaking for a group when no group has given
them authority to do so and they have no accountability to any group. Mr.
Rizzi will never lose his position with Blind Spot because he has appointed
himself the CEO. Though Mr. Rizzi, like so many others who disagree with our
collective, coordinated, effective methods for change questions what NAGDU
and the NFB are doing, asserting we are not doing anything or enough. This
arbitrary inference is disputed by the fact that we have been advocating for
the blind to the airline industry to treat us with dignity and respect since
the 1970s. Most recently we have been actively sitting at the table of the
process of negotiated regulations with the DOT, the airline industry, and
other disabled stakeholders. I have personally discussed proposed policies
with United, Southwest, Alaska, and, of course, Delta Airlines. On May 7,
the National Federation of the Blind met with the Office of Information and
Regulatory Affairs to offer input and suggestions on the interim regulations
concerning service animals and emotional support animals that will be
released soon.

	Mr. Rizzi's assertion that the NFB and NAGDU are not at the table
are arbitrary inferences; they have no foundation in fact but only serve to
enhance his importance by attempting to diminish another's. Mr. Rizzi may
say that it is only a matter of semantics. This sort of minimization is the
type of irrational thinking that compromises our work to raise the
expectations of blind people and the community. Mr. Rizzi asks, "have you
succeeded at correcting these misperceptions and antiquated perspectives on
our ability?" My answer is that we have come a long way in doing so. At the
same time, though, we bump up against those who would play upon those low
expectations by stating we are dependent upon our guide dogs and then, when
we object to this assertion,  state it is only a matter of semantics. Mr.
Rizzi is absolutely wrong! Semantics refers to the meaning of a word and
dependency does not describe the healthy relationship most of us have with
our guide dogs.

	Mr. Rizzi will criticize the NFB and NAGDU and feels so comfortable
using our resources to do so. Mr. Rizzi can say what he wants about us but
we know who we are and his opinion will not change that! The National
Federation of the blind is the leader in the affairs of the blind in the
United States and the National Association of Guide Dog Users is the leader
in issues of guide and service animal advocacy and policy.

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc. (NAGDU)
National Federation of the Blind
(813) 626-2789
President at NAGDU.ORG
Visit our website
Follow us on Twitter

expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind  people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you back.