[NAGDU] Mom service dog has puppies in Tampa airport, while dad service dog looks on

Julie Johnson julielj at neb.rr.com
Tue May 29 11:49:33 UTC 2018

My Springer Spaniel that I showed in confirmation, flyball and obedience was
not neutered.  You can't show neutered dogs.  Anyway I never had a problem
with him not being able to control his urges.  We were around a lot of other
dogs in all sorts of situations during training, shows and events.   He did
not have any health related problems due to not being neutered.  His only
health issue was ear infections, common with dogs with lots of hair and
floppy ears.  He died at 12 from very aggressive throat cancer, as in, fine
to gone in less than 3 days.   Of course, he is one dog and not any sort of
statistically significant example.  Still I'm showing that boys can in fact
be gentleman!

While I'm not a fan of working unaltered dogs, I don't believe it's the
absolute end of the world either.  It would require another level of
awareness and diligence to ensure good behavior and appropriateness to be in
public.  If you had an intact female, you'd have to have a flexible enough
lifestyle to allow for not taking her during the weeks of her heat. Working
a pregnant dog makes me way more squeamish though.  For people it is not
recommended that you fly during the last bit of your pregnancy.  I imagine
it's not different for dogs.  Working the dog while flying is doubling down
on things not to do.  Working a dog onto a plane and not being aware of how
close she was to having the puppies is truly mind boggling.

What  ripples will occur from ideas people get from this story...I think I
have a better chance of predicting lottery numbers.  People get all sorts of
odd ideas from the most mundane things.  My track record for predicting the
public is pretty dismal.  Still, all the things that pop into my head...it's
okay to work a dog during advanced pregnancy, disabled folks are not aware
of the details of the dogs health,  airports are an anything goes free
zone...nothing good can come from this story.

Julie
On The Go with Guide-and-Service-Dogs.com
http://www.guide-and-service-dogs.com
also find my products in the Blind Mice Mega Mall
<https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Directory_Departments?storeid=1916046>