[NAGDU] guide dog classes and the totally blind

Sherry Gomes sherriola at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 11:50:35 UTC 2018

Even at my first class at GDB in 1975, we had lots of people with residual
vision. This isn't anything new with GDB or any other school I suppose. I
can't speak for any other organization, but I know GDB trains their dogs to
be competent whatever the level of blindness the handler will have. The
instructors work them under blindfold during the training, and they have to
do complete routes under blindfold before they can state that the dog is
class ready. Or that's how it was in 2014, the last time I went there. I
don't intend to go back to GDB when Petunia retires for lots of reasons
including physical ability for me and strong disagreement with their recent
contract, a contract I would refuse to sign so wouldn't be able to graduate.
But unless they've changed a lot, their dogs are definitely trained with
instructors under blindfold. I know that sometimes they have students with
low vision use sleep shades as well.

Sherry