[NAGDU] guide dog classes and the totally blind

Leye-Shprintse Oeberg leyeshprintse at gmx.com
Thu Oct 18 10:27:57 UTC 2018

בּס’ד

Dan,

Only 10% of the Blind population is totally Blind as you and I. When I got my guide dog soon 7 years ago, I was the only totally Blind client in my class of 6 people. The interesting question, tough, is if the programs has changed the training of the guide dogs now when more and more clients have workable residual vision? I’ve talked with some guide dog handlers in my country, Sweden, who’re totals or nearly totals and we think that this is the case here because when we get our guide dogs, we need to retrain them so that they’ll be ’Blind friendly’. My guide dog didn’t mark curbs and stairs clearly when I got her because the guide dog instructors of my program thought that I would know where the curbs and stairs were located, because didn’t I see something?! I’ve had the same discussion with friends located in the U.K. who’ve the same experience. How is it over the Pond?

לשׁלום,
Leye-Shprintse Oeberg
Jönköping, Suède
leyeshprintse at gmx.com