[NAGDU] Off leash dogs! What can I do?

Bianka bianka at andi-bika.de
Sat Oct 20 06:13:11 UTC 2018

Hello Tara,

First of all, if you encounter the same dogs on a regular bases, try to talk to the owners. If possible, stay nice and friendly as much as you can. Something along the line my dog is working and my life depends on her being able to do her work. Secondly, be aware of your dog‘s behavior around the other dogs. Protect her when you can and if she wants to slow down or change the route a bit because of an off leash dog let her do so if it‘s at all reasonable. Stay calm as much as you can, if the other dogs are friendly, stay friendly and calm yourself with your dog. It‘s important to keep the stress level down because you don‘t want your dog to start reacting.

As for the being barked and growled at, are you sure the dogs doing the barking and growling are off leash? In my experience, being barked and growled at is a pretty normal experience with leashed dogs as well.

Of course, you can always try to raise awareness on the issue of offf leash dogs by talking to local newspapers and such.

As to legal possibilities, no idea as the laws are different over here.

good luck and safe travels!

Best regards,

Bianka